Zamosc Zoo

www.zoo.zamosc.pl


City: Zamosc
Contry: Poland
Voivodeship: Zamosc
Opend 1919

 

Species 235

 

This small zoo has a great tropical house with the big cats, fish and reptiles. Another tropical house is home for several species of monkeys. Especially in wintertime a lot of enclosures are empty


Vis stort kort

Zamosk zoo is one of the oldest zoos in Poland. Its origins date back to 1918 when Stephen Miller, Professor of a Gymnasium of boys and Jan Zamoyski, decided to establish the first Polish school wildlife garden. The opening of this very innovative institution was intended to facilitate the teaching of science at the gymnasium. According to the belief of the Professor effective teaching of biology, or nature is possible only through constant contact with it. The organization of the garden is the result of joint work by the professor and his students. The students brought life plants and animals, they also build the first enlosures and houses. Initially, the entire exhibition, located in the historic Old Town, occupied an area of 20 × 12m, on which there were specimens of crops, and a guard booth of the Austrian occupation rebuilt for squirrels. In 1920 the school garden bred 50 species of plants and created a large terrarium. Professor Miler activity aroused increasing interest in Zamosc residents. They came to the garden to relax and learn the "newness" of flora and fauna. Number of exposed animals was growing rapidly thanks to the students and residents sympathetic to the idea of a zoo in Zamosc. In 1921, the garden had turtles, snakes, lizards, newts, and several water plants and a fountain. Two years later he built the birdhouse, obtaining funds from the bazaar. In 1924, the City Council acknowledged the growing of the garden and gave 0.84 acres of adjacent land. Then the garden despite the presence of many representatives of the fauna was still primarily a botanical garden. It had about 300 species of plants, arranged in systematically sections . Increasing the area was carrying for a significant growth opportunities. Newcomers then where deer, quail, white stork, kestrels, hawks, parrots, canaries and two young wolves, which were the undoubted attraction of the garden. Using funds generated from the annual raffle the birdhouse was extended , whith inhabitans like the blackbirds, thrushes, goldfinches, quail, partridges, pheasants and pigeons. In 1925 the garden, took part in an exhibition of nature-teaching organized by the Warsaw University of Technology, where it received the highest award. Consecutive years is a time of increasing diversity of species of mammals. In 1926 wild boar at first came, then gophers, hamsters, polecats, badgers and foxes. Special day in the history of the garden was June 19, 1927, when President of the Republic, prof. Ignacy Moscicki was a visitor. The interest in and appreciation of the Head of State for the actions of the Professor and his students was a great honor, while the motivation for further work. Financial support from the state government allowed the construction of an enclosure for bears. Its first inhabitant was the two-year-old bear from Hamburg called "Basia". In 1931 the first lion called "War" arrived. Times of war and occupation was a tough time for Zamosc, and thus for the garden. The number of visitors decreased supply base, lack of food for animals, a professor because of the clandestine activities of teaching had to hide. Garden survived these difficult years thanks to the generosity and commitment of residents in Zamosc. After the war it quickly regained its former garden design, and even has been enhanced with new specimens. Also returned to teaching at the garden. Professor Miller has launched a secondary education with an emphasis on teaching science. In 1953, it ceased to be a school garden and the garden was transformed into the Zoological Garden, and its director was Stephen Miller. From this moment received a full-time service, its own budget and plans for the larger territory. Intentions of those he failed to realize due to serious illness and death. Professor Miller died in Warsaw on 13 February 1962. The assumptions and ideas of Stephen Miler gave the foundation of the garden, but also the guidance for his successors. In the following years as head of zoo held by: Tomasz Grabowski (1957-1963), Jarkowski Andrew (1963-1968), Jerzy Tomaszewski (1968-1972). It was a time of further development, increasing the number of exposed animals. This prompted the then leadership and the city authorities to move the garden to a higher ground. Work on this project began in the sixties. According to them, the garden was located between the streets and children Szczebrzeska Zamojszczyzna and rivers Łabuńką Topornicą and on about 16 ha. Moving the Garden of the land on which it is located now begun in 1980, but due to the finishing works and the public safety of the garden was open from 1st June 1982. Head of the zoo at the time, while also coordinating all activities was Czeslaw Leszczyńska (Head of a garden in 1972 - 1999). The new zoo at the date of the move provided a sufficiently large and modern for those days pens and animal housing and economic base, building offices and money. The resulting pavilion - a place of exhibition pramatery representatives of primates, small rodents, birds and exotic ornamental plants. The second pavilion is the place to present large predatory fish and reptiles. Ungulates living in wooden grounds with large grassy paddocks, respectively. The resulting building bird cages and aviarys for birds of prey, rooms for small prey, a pond for waterfowl and a paddock for the bears. The following years brought increasing species diversity and expansion of the existing zoo grounds. The resulting cages for owls, a paddock for the dingo, an additional enclosures fro ungulates, Chinese muntjac, a collection of tropical spiders. Then constructions for wintering waterfowl, deer enclosures and the monkeyhouse was expanded, increasing it by an external enclosure for gibbons. In 2002, the zoo has been enriched with botanical exhibition. On the surface of 1.5 hectares is located approximately 650 species of plants arranged in sections: Protected Plants, Utility Plants, European Plants, Asian Plants, Plants, and an American Rock Garden. Jadwiga Stoczkowska (Zoo Director, 1999-2006), introducing some restored original botanical, wildlife, nature garden and stressed the equality of flora and fauna. Just as in nature it is impossible to separate these two worlds as an indispensable and a whole zoo. Trees, shrubs and herbaceous plants are the elements of animal enclosures and the plants are visited the botanical department for many wild animals. Since May 2006 the zoo director is Greg Garbuz. Since the zoo has been going through a great renovation and modernisation The first phase, covering the construction of the main entrance, the building ambulatoryjno-veterinary and rebuilding of the pavilion for large and medium-sized carnivores, reptiles, amphibians, fish and other animals, has been funded with support from Norway through grants from the Norwegian Financial Mechanism. The author of the grant application and coordinated the project from the city was Martin Grabski, preparation of payment claims and reports of the project dealt with Monika Machlarz-Bondyra of the External Fund Management Office Office of the City of Zamosc. See the project page www.zoo-nmf.zamosc.plThe second phase of a comprehensive reconstruction of Zamosc Zoo was realized within the project Fri "Increasing the attractiveness of the region by upgrading and modernizing the one in the province of Lublin, Zamosc Zoological Gardens," co-financed by the European Regional Development Fund under the Regional Operational Programme of Lublin in 2007-2013. The scope of works covered the construction of 12 new cubature objects, ie: the pavilion of the paddocks for small predators, the pavilion of birds, stables with paddocks for the animals of Australia, three stables with paddocks for hoofed animals, three paddocks for new species of small ungulates displayed in a mini-zoo, building and sanitary washroom in a mini-zoo, a building fund additional wintering sites for birds of the aviary. Two buildings have been renovated, rebuilt and modernized ie monkey pavilion, which also got a Butterfly garden and bird aviaries, and the rebuilding of the cats enclosure for the bears. The author of the grant application and project coordinator was Marcin Grabski, which was the responsibility of managing the project, ie including preparation of grant applications and project reports as required by the grant agreement


Last visited 2012
 

Ogród Zoologiczny w Zamościu
ul. Szczebrzeska 12
22-400 Zamość
Poland

Phone number 084 639 34 79
Fax number 084 639 34 70
Address: E-mail: zoozam@wp.pl
 

Open : minimum 9am-3pm, Closed: 1st January and the 25th December


Entrace fee:
 

  • Adult 20,- PLN 
  • Child 15,- PLN

Annual card :
 

  • Adult 100,- PLN
  • Child 75,- PLN

Zamoski zoo is one of the oldest zoos in Poland. Its origins date back to 1918 when Stephen Miller, Professor of a Gymnasium of boys and Jan Zamoyski, decided to establish the first Polish school wildlife garden. The opening of this very innovative institution was intended to facilitate the teaching of science at the gymnasium. According to the belief of the Professor effective teaching of biology, or nature is possible only through constant contact with it. The organization of the garden is the result of joint work by the professor and his students. The students brought life plants and animals, they also build the first enlosures and houses. Initially, the entire exhibition, located in the historic Old Town, occupied an area of 20 × 12m, on which there were specimens of crops, and a guard booth of the Austrian occupation rebuilt for squirrels. In 1920 the school garden bred 50 species of plants and created a large terrarium. Professor Miler activity aroused increasing interest in Zamosc residents. They came to the garden to relax and learn the "newness" of flora and fauna. Number of exposed animals was growing rapidly thanks to the students and residents sympathetic to the idea of a zoo in Zamosc. In 1921, the garden had turtles, snakes, lizards, newts, and several water plants and a fountain. Two years later he built the birdhouse, obtaining funds from the bazaar. In 1924, the City Council acknowledged the growing of the garden and gave 0.84 acres of adjacent land. Then the garden despite the presence of many representatives of the fauna was still primarily a botanical garden. It had about 300 species of plants, arranged in systematically sections . Increasing the area was carrying for a significant growth opportunities. Newcomers then where deer, quail, white stork, kestrels, hawks, parrots, canaries and two young wolves, which were the undoubted attraction of the garden. Using funds generated from the annual raffle the birdhouse was extended , whith inhabitans like the blackbirds, thrushes, goldfinches, quail, partridges, pheasants and pigeons. In 1925 the garden, took part in an exhibition of nature-teaching organized by the Warsaw University of Technology, where it received the highest award. Consecutive years is a time of increasing diversity of species of mammals. In 1926 wild boar at first came, then gophers, hamsters, polecats, badgers and foxes. Special day in the history of the garden was June 19, 1927, when President of the Republic, prof. Ignacy Moscicki was a visitor. The interest in and appreciation of the Head of State for the actions of the Professor and his students was a great honor, while the motivation for further work. Financial support from the state government allowed the construction of an enclosure for bears. Its first inhabitant was the two-year-old bear from Hamburg called "Basia". In 1931 the first lion called "War" arrived. Times of war and occupation was a tough time for Zamosc, and thus for the garden. The number of visitors decreased supply base, lack of food for animals, a professor because of the clandestine activities of teaching had to hide. Garden survived these difficult years thanks to the generosity and commitment of residents in Zamosc. After the war it quickly regained its former garden design, and even has been enhanced with new specimens. Also returned to teaching at the garden. Professor Miller has launched a secondary education with an emphasis on teaching science. In 1953, it ceased to be a school garden and the garden was transformed into the Zoological Garden, and its director was Stephen Miller. From this moment received a full-time service, its own budget and plans for the larger territory. Intentions of those he failed to realize due to serious illness and death. Professor Miller died in Warsaw on 13 February 1962. The assumptions and ideas of Stephen Miler gave the foundation of the garden, but also the guidance for his successors. In the following years as head of zoo held by: Tomasz Grabowski (1957-1963), Jarkowski Andrew (1963-1968), Jerzy Tomaszewski (1968-1972). It was a time of further development, increasing the number of exposed animals. This prompted the then leadership and the city authorities to move the garden to a higher ground. Work on this project began in the sixties. According to them, the garden was located between the streets and children Szczebrzeska Zamojszczyzna and rivers Łabuńką Topornicą and on about 16 ha. Moving the Garden of the land on which it is located now begun in 1980, but due to the finishing works and the public safety of the garden was open from 1st June 1982. Head of the zoo at the time, while also coordinating all activities was Czeslaw Leszczyńska (Head of a garden in 1972 - 1999). The new zoo at the date of the move provided a sufficiently large and modern for those days pens and animal housing and economic base, building offices and money. The resulting pavilion - a place of exhibition pramatery representatives of primates, small rodents, birds and exotic ornamental plants. The second pavilion is the place to present large predatory fish and reptiles. Ungulates living in wooden grounds with large grassy paddocks, respectively. The resulting building bird cages and aviarys for birds of prey, rooms for small prey, a pond for waterfowl and a paddock for the bears. The following years brought increasing species diversity and expansion of the existing zoo grounds. The resulting cages for owls, a paddock for the dingo, an additional enclosures fro ungulates, Chinese muntjac, a collection of tropical spiders. Then constructions for wintering waterfowl, deer enclosures and the monkeyhouse was expanded, increasing it by an external enclosure for gibbons. In 2002, the zoo has been enriched with botanical exhibition. On the surface of 1.5 hectares is located approximately 650 species of plants arranged in sections: Protected Plants, Utility Plants, European Plants, Asian Plants, Plants, and an American Rock Garden. Jadwiga Stoczkowska (Zoo Director, 1999-2006), introducing some restored original botanical, wildlife, nature garden and stressed the equality of flora and fauna. Just as in nature it is impossible to separate these two worlds as an indispensable and a whole zoo. Trees, shrubs and herbaceous plants are the elements of animal enclosures and the plants are visited the botanical department for many wild animals. Since May 2006 the zoo director is Greg Garbuz. Since the zoo has been going through a great renovation and modernisation The first phase, covering the construction of the main entrance, the building ambulatoryjno-veterinary and rebuilding of the pavilion for large and medium-sized carnivores, reptiles, amphibians, fish and other animals, has been funded with support from Norway through grants from the Norwegian Financial Mechanism. The author of the grant application and coordinated the project from the city was Martin Grabski, preparation of payment claims and reports of the project dealt with Monika Machlarz-Bondyra of the External Fund Management Office Office of the City of Zamosc. See the project page www.zoo-nmf.zamosc.plThe second phase of a comprehensive reconstruction of Zamosc Zoo was realized within the project Fri "Increasing the attractiveness of the region by upgrading and modernizing the one in the province of Lublin, Zamosc Zoological Gardens," co-financed by the European Regional Development Fund under the Regional Operational Programme of Lublin in 2007-2013. The scope of works covered the construction of 12 new cubature objects, ie: the pavilion of the paddocks for small predators, the pavilion of birds, stables with paddocks for the animals of Australia, three stables with paddocks for hoofed animals, three paddocks for new species of small ungulates displayed in a mini-zoo, building and sanitary washroom in a mini-zoo, a building fund additional wintering sites for birds of the aviary. Two buildings have been renovated, rebuilt and modernized ie monkey pavilion, which also got a Butterfly garden and bird aviaries, and the rebuilding of the cats enclosure for the bears. The author of the grant application and project coordinator was Marcin Grabski, which was the responsibility of managing the project, ie including preparation of grant applications and project reports as required by the g

For kids: Playgrounds and pettingarea

Food: The Zoo has a places where you can get a snack

 

Taking photos: Is allowed, if publiciesed, please mention the zoo on your homepage

Map 2012 Map 2015

Before entering the zoo we look at zome aviarys for marmosets and after the entrance to the right. The first animal here are the brown bears, across we finde some aviarys for owls.  Now following the road we reach the zebras and on the other side soon ducks and other water fowl. Later on we have a look at pheasants and bird of prey.  Now we have reached  the enclosures for felines, wolves and wild boars. Ajanced we'll finde the Austrlian area with wallabies and the emu. Going inside the first tropical house, that is the home for big cates like the lion and the tiger, we especially meet fish on the ground floor and reptiles and the 1st floor. There we also see more than 15 species of bird-eating spiders. Outside again we meet the coati and the Rea. Now in front of we have the tiger-enclosure and next to it the lion enclosure. Adjanced we have the Bactrian Camel. Now its up to you if you want to look at the botanical area, that also is home to the gopher ore following the road passing the Black Stork and the funny goats. The we are looking at the Lechwe, and afterwards its time to look at the monkeyhouse, home for a group of Lar's, ring-tailed lemurs and capuchinmonkeys as well as macaws and butterflys. Now heading for the exit we are at last but not least ar looking at some parrots, as the lovebirds


DE: Dieser kleine Zoo zeigt die gewöhnlichen Zootiere, hat aber ein gutes Aquarium und Terarium. Die Katzensamlung ist ziemlich gross und er hat auch eine gute Affensamlung. Der Vogelspinnen mag wird diesen Zoo auch mögen, er hat 15 Arten.

DK: Denne lille have viser almene zoodyr, men har et godt akvarium og terrarium. Kattesamlingen er temmelig stor og der vises også en del abearter. Dem der er glade for fugleedderkopper vil også kun lide haven, der er en 15 arter

woaqzo@yahoo.com
Lav din egen hjemmeside med mono.net