Country: Czech Republic
Province: Olomouc Region
The Olomouc Zoological Garden is located on The Holy Hill (Svatý Kopeček) in a mixed forest on an area of 42,5 hectares. The Zoo breeds over three hundred species and participates in the rescue of a number of species involved in European Endangered Species Programme (EEP).
Last visited 2012
Phone number 585 151 600
Zoologická zahrada Olomouc
779 00 Olomouc
Open : minimum 9am-4pm
For kids: Playgrounds and pettingarea
Food: The Zoo has a place where you can get a snack
In the beginning of the 1950s there was a small petting zoo at Smetana Park in the city center. Among other you could find red and roe deer. In January 1951 Dr. Vladimírem Strnadem started an investigation of starting a zoo, the following year on March 1982 the club of biologyst met for the first time to build a zoo. The regional council desided for an area on 31st March 1952 just a bit north of the village Samotišky. This is still the present place. From may 1952 building a zoo with the help of local volunteers under the leadership of Dr Schwab began. 1953 the area was fenced among others. 1957 the first heated houses for animals were build. Befor opening of the zoo a lot of people said it was to far away from the city (aprox 10 km), today most though consider it as lucky. The official opening took place June 3rd 1956 and it had 12 species like raccoon, red & roe deer, wolf, red fox, porcupines, a black goat and a couple of bird species. Exotic animals though where soon added. Though all ready in 1959 there was a thread to close the zoo becourse of its situation, its animal collection had a low apeal and there where to few visitors, here economy was terrible. The citizens of Olomouc though suported the zoo, though a lot wiched that it was closer to downtown. It stayed at though with an annual visitor number still incresing. In the 1960s a monkey house, a vivarium and heat in stables for exotic animals was installed. Some enclosures were enlarged. The zoo begins with printing zooguides from 1966. the 1970's was the dacade shaping the present zoo maybe the most, many houses of the modern zoo are from that decade as well as the path system made of concrete. Even the staff, that doubled its size, finally realized that they had to take an education as animal keeper. On the wild side the zoo started with showing African, ungulagtes and it soon became known for the Gemsbok. Still today you meet Europes largest group of the beautyfull creatures at the zoo. Aprox 1978 the zoo got its first carnivore hous. 1971 began as a bad year for the zoo, some of the felines got anthrax, so the zoo had to close for some weeks. in the 1980s, the decade of the perestroika money where scarce. Still a new entrance building was erected, and so did the enclosures for sun bears and the new vivarium with its pygmy hippos. The zoo was seperated in to two sections, the lower section for European fauna and the upper section for exotic animals. Winter 1984-85 the zoo had to be closed becourse of an outbreak of rabies. In the beginning of the 1990s the borders opened to the west and the zoo became a part of EEP (European Endangered species Program) and on that way beeing able of showing animals like the cheetah, fossa and bongo. 1999 an aquarium building was added. Since 1995 the zoo is member of EAZA (European association of zoos and aquariums). 1991 several animals where stolen from the zoo as a black leopard cub, this though ws found soon again.In the 1990s a few buildings where build, like the giraffe house, a monkey house and a bat house. Renovations were made during the first decade of the new millwnium, and even an ape house was build. In 2001 the zoo became a part of WAZA (World association of Zoos and Aquariums). After 44 years in office Zdeněk Slavotínek retired as director in 2007, his follower is Dr. Radomír Habáň. 2005 the pavilion for South American animals opened.