The Warsaw Zoological Garden, known simply as the Warsaw Zoo is a scientific zoo on Ratuszowa Street in Warsaw. The zoo covers about 40 hectares (99 acres) in downtown Warsaw, and sees 600,000 visitors annually. It is home to over 4,000 animals representing more than 500 species. This zoo shows a lot of interesting animals, frome tiny insects, to big elephants, but you also se anteaters and indian rhinos
Warsaw Zoological Garden was laid in the landscape of the capital for over 80 years ago. Over the years, its fortunes were closely linked with the history of Warsaw. But before they managed to create the place you find today, a lot of water has flown in the river. The first zoo in Warsaw, were established in the royal courts. In the seventeenth century on the escarpment of the Palace was located in the Kazimierz at the Vasa court a menagerie. It is on this site the Fight takes place with monkeys as described by Sienkiewicz in the "Flood". King John III Sobieski was famous for his passion for animals . In the Palace there was a large collection of exotic species. In the nineteenth century, in European capitals were formed several zoos. Warsaw is also preparing to create this type of facility, however, difficult situation after the fall of November Uprising led to the withdrawal of the investment. Although several private zoos were founded, but they all stopped after a few years there. June 17th, 1884, at Trifle, a wealthy lawyer Maurice John Kaminski founded a zoo as a limited company. The garden enjoyed great popularity. Unfortunately, after six years of operation, there was an unpleasant incident. After eating poisoned meat all carnivores died. It was decided to close the facility, and the remaining animals were sold abroad. Efforts to create a new zoo curtailed by the outbreak of World War I. Only in 1926 a wealthy baker and a great lover of nature - Mieczysław Pągowski - at his own expense and work created a new zoo in Warsaw. Opening to the public took place in July 1926 The interest was huge, for the first 7 weeks to a new garden came to 24 thousand. visitors. After several months of deer moved to the slightly larger plot of land at Al. May 3 (corner Solca), near the Poniatowski Bridge. On a small acre area with over 70 species of exotic animals. The collection included eg: monkeys (12 specimens), bears (three species), penguins, flamingos, parrots, pelicans, marabou, ostrich, kangaroo, porcupine, armadillo and alligator. At the same time, the initiative of the nature of teachers in Warsaw, also in Al. May 3 (in place of today's National Museum), the resulting menagerie of about 150 animals. The place was called the "Biological Study". Unfortunately it only lasted a year, and its end was quite dramatic. The building with exotic animals catched fire which killed, among others 30 monkeys. Resolution of the municipality of 14 June 1927 years established the Zoological Garden in Prague, where there is today. The new garden was an area the size of 12 hectares. Construction work began in August and in November was responsible for the management of the garden Wenantemu Burdzińskiemu - former chairman and founder of the Kiev zoo. The fast pace of construction allowed the official opening of the zoo for 11 March 1928. Residents of the newly formed zoo animals have become transmitted from the "Biological Study" and bought from Mr. Pągowski. The composition of the garden was a new collection of 475 specimens of animals, of which about three-quarters were birds, a quarter of mammals. The first two weeks garden visited by more than 6.5 thousand. visitors. In December 1928, died Wenanty Burdziński. It is worth mentioning that he died after a severe pneumonia which he contracted for dedicated work in the garden. During the unusually cold winter, regardless of their health personally participated in the work, which aimed to prepare the animals to survive frost. After the unexpected death of the city zoo director a competition for this position was held. June 1st, 1929, it was appointed to a young talented zoologist - Adjunct Professor, Department of Zoology and Animal Physiology, Warsaw Agricultural University - Jan Zabinski. Gardens began to grow wonderfully, creates new buildings (e.g. Monkey house, hippo house, an elephant house, a giraffe house, paddock for the polar bears and a pool for seals), new animals arrived and the zoo animals bred quite well. In June 1937 the world famous elephant Tuzinka was born. This was the twelfth elephant born in a zoo, and so far the only one born in Poland. The popularity of the Warsaw Zoo from year to year increased. Unfortunately, this wonderful period was interrupted by the outbreak of the war. 1st September 1939, radio and press heralding the German army assault on Poland. September 3rd the first bombs fell in the garden. The army did kill all the dangerous animals. Some of the animals slaughtered for meat for the inhabitants of Warsaw, some killed by bullets, and some escaped into the city. The most valuable, including Warsaw's favorite Tuzinka, were deported to Germany. Although most of the animal inhabitants of the garden has suffered death, does not mean that in the zoo, nothing happened. On the contrary, things were happening here of extraordinary importance. Jan Zabinski, the active activist of the underground, a secret from his family did hide explosives in the garden. In addition, he and his wife Antonina, hiding in his house escaped Jews from the ghetto . Even the director personally conducted the Aryan side. Most of those who sought refuge in a villa Żabińskis survived the war. In 1965, Jan and Antonina received for his work the title of "Righteous Among the Nations". The famous villa, called by his friends' house in a mad Star ", is located in the Garden today (The history can be read in a novel). In 1940, in the zoo opened to the needs of local populations a pig farm, and then, after it was wound up due to an epidemic of dysentery - allotments. In the early days of the Warsaw Uprising, fighting in the Army branch manager Zabinski was injured. After the uprising he was taken to a POW camp in the Third Reich. Mrs. Antoinette was forced to leave the Garden. Immediately after the war she returned to the capital and the decision of the Municipality of Warsaw began with Master John Landowskim (later director) works to safeguard assets of the zoo. In November 1945 the director Jan Zabinski, after returning from the camp, began working at the radio. Meanwhile, more and more loudly demanded from Warsaw to reactivate their favorite zoo. In 1946, Rotterdam was the first post-war Congress of the International Union of Directors of Zoological Gardens - IUDZG. Members of the organization's declared support for the Warsaw Zoo, in the form of a number of interesting animals. In January 1948, Resolution of the President of the Town Council, restored to life the Warsaw Zoo, and re-assigned as director, Dr. John Żabińskiemu. Started fencing the area, cleaning and repair of surviving buildings and enclosures. From foreign gardens and private collectors new animals arrived. July 22, 1949, the Warsaw Zoo was officially opened! In 1950, the Act on State Supervision of Polish zoos - Supervision was its first director of the inspector was Zabinski. At the end of the 1950s, Jan Zabinski unexpectedly resigned from garden and has since devoted himself exclusively to popular science, became the author of 60 books and about 1,500 radio talks of zoology. New director of the Warsaw Zoo was - in 1951 - M. John Landowski, an employee of the garden even before the war. The 1950s were a time of intense work and healing the wounds of war. Continued renovation of the surviving and creating new buildings such as pool for polar bears and an aquarium. In 1952 he erected the enclosure for brown bears. The area of the Garden was electrified and equipped with a network of plumbing, renovated the existing road. In 1956 he established the Scientific Council at the zoo, consisting of university professors - the body that works to this day, consulting and issuing opinions on the activities of breeding, teaching and research and assisting the director in the implementation of development plans for the Garden. In 1959 we opened a second gate to the zoo. In the meantime, the collection of animals continued to widen. In 1961 arrived among others two polar bears, brought as a gift by a scientific expedition to Spitsbergen. Director Landowskiemu managed to create a structure on the model of modern zoos. Created new paddocks, a complex for waterfowl, a giraffe house, economic base for the clinic and quarantine. In autumn 1970 the zoo came a pair of giraffes from Kenya - Spark and Flame. These were the first giraffe in postwar Poland. October 2, 1972, died Dr. John Landowski, who held the position of Director of the Garden for 21 years. New director was Zbigniew M. Wolin - Head of Breeding and Research Institute at the Warsaw Zoo. Unfortunately, the financial situation of the Garden was more difficult. Deteriorating condition of sanitary - hygienic facilities for the animals, lack of funds for repairs. Under pressure from public opinion of the city authorities have acknowledged that the situation in the zoo should be immediately improved. Fortunately, there was no lack of breeding success. In 1975, the only polar bears were bred - Wars and Sawa. Despite the crisis, in 1979, held in Warsaw prestigious 34th Conference of the International Union of Directors of Zoological Gardens, with representatives from 42 zoos in the world. In the Garden began to take place for the better. Drained paddocks have been very neglected ungulates and began renovations of many buildings. In 1981, director Zbigniew Wolin went into early retirement. Through election Dr. Jan Maciej Rembiszewski was chosen as his successor - . At the request of the President of Warsaw, the new Director General M. Debicki called the zoo College president. Local authorities highlighted the vision of the city in bad shape is the vast majority of buildings in the Garden. Some of them were close to collapse and posed the possibility of escape of dangerous predators. Zoo received its first investment funds after several years. Located in the disastrous state of the enclosure for polar bears has been completely rebuilt and the aquarium was renovated and equipped with modern technical equipment. The construction of a modern economic center - the kitchenfor livestock, technical and food warehouses, workshops, garages, greenhouses, a barn and an appropriate technical background. Created one of the most beautiful in Europe, a natural enclosure for red pandas, where the first were bred world wide. In less than 10 years 95% of the zoo facilities were refurbished, upgraded or renewed. The zoo of Warsaw became an active member of many international organizations, including the European Association of Zoos and Aquaria - EAZA and again the International Union of Directors of Zoological Gardens - IUDZG, it began to participate in the European program to save endangered species - EEP. At the end of the eighties the zoo director and his friends founded the Foundation of the Warsaw Zoo Panda, which the zoo had already reached the 90s Began to appear in the first sponsors - honorary guardians of animals. Panda encourage new investment and renovation of existing facilities. In the history of the Warsaw Zoo began a very good period, which lasts to this day. In 1997 a construction for a modern home for reptiles (herpetarium) was completed. The end of 1998 brought the opening of the birdhouse and the bird sanctuary - Wild Bird Rehabilitation Center. Saving here are representatives of our native birdlife. Turnout in 1999 amounted to 550 000 visitors. Summer of 1999 from Warsaw sadly bid farewell to the last Indian elephant elephant in the capital - 54 year old elephant Sonia. She was the oldest in Europe. The new century began to be very successful in the area of breeding. In February 2000, cheetahs were born. These were the first in Poland. Another litter (up to 7 young!) also appeared in February, three years later. In March 2003, Warsaw Zoo pompously celebrated his 75th anniversary. The event was organized in the new elephant house, in cooperation with TVP, celebrated with performances by famous artists and presenters on television. In May the elephant house was opened to the public. This modern building, covering an area of 6000 m2, still considered one of the most beautiful exhibition of this kind in Europe. In July, introduced a new residence for two African elephants - Joni and Ninjo from Israel. Soon received from sponsors new names - Lotek and Leon. Finally after a few years break from Warsaw once again able to watch the elephants. A year later, in August 2004 joined the herd three females - Zula, Buba and Frederick. In autumn 2004,the first Indian rhino appeared in Poland in the Warsaw Zoo - Gyan. After several months, he was replaced by Hugo, and in 2006 the company joined Jacob. In 2008, Hugo was replaced by a young Shikari. Jacob and Shikari are one of the few Indian rhinos in Poland. In September 2004, the Foundation was created in Panda - Lovers' Club of Warsaw Zoological Garden, bringing together about 100 people. In June 2005, Ljubljana Zoo for the first time organized Dreamnight - Evening Dreams - special evening for really sick children and their families. The global shares was born in 1996 in Rotterdam, and now covers many zoos around the world. The year 2006 has begun opening a new facility - the pavilion for exotic invertebrates. This summer in our garden appeared unusual guest - Miss World 2005 - Unnur Birna Vilhjamsdottir. The most beautiful woman in the world sponsored two Warsaw zebras, which in her honor were given the names - Unnur and Ubi. In September 2007, held in Warsaw on 24th Conference of the European Association of Zoos and Aquaria - EAZA. The Zoo opened its gates to nearly 600 guests from Europe, Africa and America. In March 2008, the Warsaw Zoo celebrated its 80th birthday. Festive anniversary of the Casimir Palace graced with its presence a group of distinguished guests, the President of Warsaw - Hanna Gronkiewicz-Waltz. In September 2008, a modern pavilion for great apes opened. In addition to the chimpanzees living at the zoo the first gorillas of the zoo arrived. 1st January 2009 there has been a change in the position of Director. Dr. Jan Maciej Rembiszewski - who hold this position for almost 27 years - went into retirement. His place was taken by Dr. Andrew Kruszewicz - known and respected ornithologist, a longtime employee Zoo, the creator of Bird's Asylum. In early 2010, managed to finish the most recent investment - the hippo house. Since April, visitors can admire hippos (the old Angela and the young Hugo) in the new environment and under water. Despite the financial difficulties of the Warsaw Zoo a few years experiencing a boom. There is no shortage of breeding success, with new investments, from year to year it is more and more popular and entertaining events, and visitors come in every season.
Phone number (022) 619-40-41
Fax number (022) 619-58-98
Address: City Zoological Garden in Warsaw, Ratuszowa street 1/3, 03-461 WARSAW, POLAND
Open : minimum 9am-5pm
Food: The Zoo has a places where you can get a snack
Taking photos: Is allowed, if publiciesed, please mention the zoo on your homepage